The Girl Who Stopped Swimming

The Girl Who Stopped Swimming - Joshilyn Jackson The Girl Who Stopped Swimming is quite a misleading book. Just when you think it's going to be a ghost story, it's not. Just when you think it's going to be about recovering from sexual abuse, it's not. Just when you think it's going to be about marriage infidelity, it's not. It's not even about a girl who went swimming. I think the author's intent was to write a novel about poverty in America, to showcase the stark contrasts in growing up in a suburban gated community versus an impoverished one. This would have been an excellent idea had it been more developed. All of these topics were tossed around, but we never settled down in one area. It felt like all these carrots kept being dangled in front of the reader just to be yanked away at the last minute, as if to say, nope, we're going to talk about something else now.

When you read a title like The Girl Who Stopped Swimming your immediate questions and reasons for reading are Why did she stop swimming? and Why was she swimming in the first place? What happened to her? I read the whole novel and I still do not know the answers to these questions. It wasn't even metaphorical, like the Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest REALLY DID kick the hornet's nest. Overall, contrived plot, flat characters, and chaotic story where nothing much happened.