The Double Bind

The Double Bind - Chris Bohjalian I would highly recommend this book to all book clubbers out there, because after you read it, you just want to talk to someone else who's read it. Kind of like after seeing the movie the Sixth Sense. There is a prerequisite that comes with this novel and that is to read or re-read The Great Gatsby. This is a must in order to understand all the references and parallels with Fitzgerald's novel. Bohjalian brings the characters from The Great Gatsby to life.
From reading the other reviews of The Double Bind, I see that people either love it or hate it. Yes, sometimes the language and word choice can be a bit bizarre, but I don't think that takes away from the story at all. I really think the story works and even if you have an inkling about the "big shocker" ending, Ummmm... SO WHAT? That's what's part of the suspense of reading a novel like this, to find if what we suspect is true. That's why I couldn't put it down at least. Besides, I don't think that anyone could say truthfully that they had every part of this novel figured out before the end.
I can't say too much else without giving anything away, but there are many many discussions about many many topics that could be spawned from this book, apparently even the writing itself is up for debate, but I love a book I can't put down and this one kept me up at night.