A Thousand Splendid Suns

A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini Khaled Hosseini has done it again. He's broken my heart with a story I'll never forget, a story that made me hug my kids a little tighter, a story that made me think of all the freedoms we take for granted in this country, a story that made me seek out my husband and tell him how much I appreciate him.
He tells the story of two women, Mariam and Laila, brought together under dire circumstances in war-torn Afghanistan. One woman is destined for a life of heartache, while the other is destined to accomplish great things, but not without first paying a price. Ultimately, the lesson learned is that what is most important in this life is "to love and to be loved". I think this book affected me even more than the Kite Runner did since it told of the suffering of women and children. And even though it is a work of fiction, it was difficult to realize that Hosseini was telling the story of many Afghani women.
He also tells a story about how in an instant the course of our lives will be forever changed by the decisions we make and how it affects those we care about. If only some of the characters in this book had made different choices, such as Mariam's father. The plot is flawless and the writing is superb. I am always amazed when a man can write such strong and well-developed women characters. Mariam and Laila are two of those rare characters who will occupy a permanent place in my memory. You will not be able to put this book down until the last satisfying page.