Thirteen Reasons Why

Thirteen Reasons Why - Jay Asher This book was hard to put down because, like Clay, you just wanted to get through it. The premise of the book, a girl commits suicide then sends these self-recorded tapes to 13 people who contributed to her downfall, seemed to be an intriguing setting for a novel, and for the most part it was, but I also felt a disconnect from Hannah. If there had been something more- perhaps an opening scene of her personally, not just her voice on a tape, the reader could have understood her better. I went back and forth between being annoyed with her and feeling sorry for her. I do think an important aspect of the book is that suicide is not caused by just one thing or problem, but a snowball of incidents, some of which I don't think we were even told about in the book. Which is the way with people's lives. You can never fully know what's going on with a person. As the author says, "You don’t know what goes on in anyone’s life but your own. And when you mess with one part of a person’s life, you’re not messing with just that part. Unfortunately, you can’t be that precise and selective. When you mess with one part of a person’s life, you’re messing with their entire life. Everything. . . affects everything."
I would definitely recommend this book for older teens, unless as a parent you're willing to read it first and prepare some discussions on the topic of suicide, along with some other heavy subjects in the book.