The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Shaffer, Annie Barrows This book should have been right up my alley. I love the idea of epistolary novels, as if we, the readers, are voyeurs upon a character's life. And this is a book about book lovers and how books can help you escape from some of the atrocities of life. Again, right up my alley, which may have given me high expectations. But a book of letters can be a hard thing to pull off and while there were many things to love about this book, there were also many details to be disappointed in.
What I loved:
-The characters on Guernsey Island: I thought they were real and endearing and I wanted to sit in on one of their meetings and join their discussion.
-The setting: learning of the German occupation on the Channel Islands and what the people went through- just another aspect of the horrific reign of Hitler that people should know about.
-The literary references.
-The end: A satisfying one.
What I was disappointed in:
-The writing: The letters, especially from Juliet, did not ring true of letters written in 1946, especially in London. They seemed much too modern.
-The length: Around about page 200, the book got way too tedious for me. Frankly, I wanted it to end. Perhaps about a fourth of the letters could have been left out, or at least condensed. This style of writing can get boring if it doesn't keep the reader engaged and the writing isn't superb.
-Again, the writing: it should have been easier to tell the difference between the "voices" of the characters. I didn't feel they were distinct enough so that you knew without looking that the letter was from Juliet or Dawsey or Amelia.