Home Safe

Home Safe - Elizabeth Berg In the aftermath of reading books like In Cold Bold and Sworn to Silence, I needed to visit with an old friend, so I picked up my autographed copy of Home Safe. And I may have said it before, but reading an Elizabeth Berg novel is like spending the afternoon with an old friend, one you feel comfortable with, one who can say an old idea in a new way and you think "yes, that's exactly right". I don't know what it is about Ms. Berg, but I want to be her when I grow up. Maybe because she reminds me of Diane Keaton, who I also want to be when I grow up.

If you read books for plot development, then you may not enjoy her, but if you read for the writing, the use of language, the way words can express a feeling you didn't know could be expressed, then Home Safe will deliver for you. She's one of the few authors when upon finishing a book, I will go back and re-read passages.

This is one of my favorites:
"Midge was not experiencing grief. When you were, you did not remark upon it and then sip your tea. If you spoke about your pain in any truthful way, you clenched your fists in your lap. You looked out the window to find something to distract you, to stop a flow of thoughts that would quickly overwhelm you. Or you laughed that thin laugh that is not laughter at all, but tears, rerouted."

There are many others that were perfection, but I don't have the time or inclination to type them out here. You'll just have to get the book for yourself.