Sworn to Silence

Sworn to Silence - Linda Castillo I would have given this book 3 stars, except for the fact that I read the last half of it in one sitting and when a book grabs me like that then I must give it due credit. The police thriller genre is a departure from what I usually read, so I assume it's not fair to critique the writing itself, which would not be a 4 star. The points of view changed so much it gave me whip-lash, from 1st person to 3rd person, many times even within the same chapter. And the verb tense was all over the place as well, which was distracting.

That aside, if you enjoy a good police thriller complete with twists and turns and a psychopathic serial killer, then Sworn to Silence delivers. If you do read a lot in this genre and tend win at Clue, then you'll figure out fairly quickly that it was Colonel Mustard in the library with the candlestick. But Castillo still does a great job at keeping the suspense going even after the killer is revealed. The character development was believable, especially that of the main character, Chief of Police and ex-Amish dweller, Kate Burkholder. She was a likable character (which is important if you're trying to create a series based on a character). The Amish angle lent for some compelling plot twists. Be warned, the crime scene descriptions were graphic, but not gratuitous because it definitely enhanced the suspense in the race to capture the monstrous killer.

I would recommend this book (unless you're a literati). I will be anticipating the next adventure of Kate Burkholder which is supposed to come out in Spring, just in time for beach read season.