Last Night in Twisted River

Last Night in Twisted River - John Irving If this is the first Irving book you pick up, you may not realize what you are getting yourself into. If you're a fan, you'll be happy that the old John Irving is back- The harsh, yet sentimental storyteller who gave us Garp and Owen Meany. You'll even forgive him the sometimes self-indulgent, never-ending passages of writing that ultimately have nothing to do with the story. Because once again he's given us characters that, like Garp and Owen, won't soon be forgotten. Spanning three generations, this is a story to become invested in. Irving truly captured the spirit of northern NH. Ketchum reminded me of someone I know. And the section that took place in the North End made my mouth water for that authentic Italian cooking. This is the mark of a talented writer, when he can connect with the reader through time and space as if he was sitting across the table from you sharing a story, perhaps over some nice calamari prepared by a cook named Dominic.

My only criticism is that this has been called his first "political" novel. The politics were thrown in at the end of the novel and this would be the part I call self-indulgent on Irving's part, because it really had nothing to do with the story at all. Other than to say how much Irving, err.. I mean Danny, the main character, disliked Bush. Well, duh!

That aside, Irving doesn't pop out a novel every year, and it shows in the quality of his writing.