A Dog in a Hat: An American Bike Racer's Story of Mud, Drugs, Blood, Betrayal, and Beauty in Belgium - Joe Parkin A rare glimpse into the world of professional cycling in Belgium, this is a story that could only have been told by Joe Parkin, an American cycling in Europe not for the glory but for the love of it. If you're interested at all in cycling beyond what is seen in the Tour de France then I would recommend this book. It definitely garnered a new found respect for these athletes, who in my opinion, push themselves beyond what any other sport requires.

However, it's a shame that this book wasn't better edited, because then it might reach a wider audience. Of course Joe Parkin is a cyclist, not a writer, but this is where a good editor steps in. The book lacked cohesiveness and at times seemed very random- anecdotes thrown in that didn't really have anything to do with anything, while some other things were glossed over. I wish there had been more emphasis placed on the cultural difference between the way Belgians regard cycling and Americans disregard it. It really won't appeal to anyone other than cyclists.