The Last Time I Saw You

The Last Time I Saw You - Elizabeth Berg I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I love, love, love, Ms. Berg's writing. This one is told from the perspective of a multitude of characters who are about to go to their 40th high school reunion. There's the jock, the homecoming queen, the outcast, the nerd, and some other surprises. Though the characters were portrayed as more than just their stereotypes, I was surprised by some of their actions. At first I was thinking, okay, these people are supposed to be about 58 years old, why are some of them acting so juvenile? I was waffling between wondering if Ms. Berg had lost her sense of character or if it's true that perhaps some people never really do grow up. But then I realized that no matter what age you are, those high school memories, whether good, bad or indifferent, are so uniquely vivid that we can easily fall back into that place, especially when surrounded by the very people we shared those experiences with. I also secretly love that the characters who had a hard time in high school were the ones who became more stable in real life.

In the end, this is a bittersweet novel, that will leave you wondering about the myriad of possibilities your own life could have taken since you stepped out of those high school doors.

This would make a great women's book club selection as there would be much to discuss about the different "roles" one has experienced in their own high school experience.