What You Have Left

What You Have Left - Will Allison I won this in a Goodreads giveaway and may not have picked it up otherwise, at least not until Will Allison becomes popular which he is bound to do. He's reminiscent of Richard Russo. The chapters in the novel switch between the characters of Holly, her father, and her husband spanning a lifetime of, well, "life". If you don't like this style of writing then this novel isn't for you, but I generally think the changing points of view and time keep the story fresh and the reader interested. And Will Allison pulls it off flawlessly.

There is a lot of story packed into a book that is just over 200 pages. I like a story that leaves much for the reader to infer and doesn't over-explain every detail- I'm a Hemingway fan in that way. The characters in this novel are real- you may not like them all the time. I got especially upset with Holly over the way she was acting in her marriage. But I could also see all the anger in her that had been built up from her childhood.

If I had any criticism it's that the story ended too abruptly for me. I am left with many unanswered questions. Oh, and I'd change the cover.

Overall, this was a perfect little gem of a novel and I'll be looking out for more from Will Allison.